Review of Health Assessment Across the Lifespan
May 2, 2020
1 day course
Delivery Format: In-Class
This one-day course will review health assessment using a systems approach and will include how to do a head to toe assessment. Participants will practice focused health assessments in a simulation laboratory. This course will provide a refresher on health assessment for practicing registered nurses or nurse practitioner students or nurse practitioners who wish to review and build upon their health assessment skills. This course has been developed with experts in the fields of nurse practitioner practice and education. An opportunity to learn about newborn and toddler health assessment will be offered in an afternoon session for participants interested in these populations.
- To increase learners’ confidence when performing physical assessments.
- To increase the learners’ ability to perform a focused health assessments so they can perform a comprehensive head to toe assessment on clients across the lifespan.
- To increase the learners’ understanding of normal and abnormal physical findings.
- To increase the learners’ ability to perform advanced assessments.
Registered Nurses wishing to refresh/review their health assessment skills, Nurse Practitioner students and practicing Nurse Practitioners.
Jarvis, C., Health Assessment and Physical Examination 6th Edition. Elsevier Saunders, 2012 or Stephen, L., Skillen, D.L., Day, R.A., & Bickley L.S., Canadian Bates’ Guide to Health Assessment for Nurses. Walters Klower, 2009.
Schedule and Location
This course is offered two or three times each year.
The course schedule is available as a Printable PDF – updated January 28, 2020.
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing Health Sciences Building University of Toronto 155 College Street Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1P8 ( map )
Margaret Verkuyl NP-PHC, MN, AGD:ANP
Adjunct Lecturer, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
Nursing Professor, Ryerson/Centennial/George Brown Collaborative Nursing Degree Program, Centennial College
Early Bird Price (until April 3, 2020) $345 + HST Regular Price (starting April 4, 2020) $380 + HST Student in U of T Faculty of Nursing $270 + HST U of T Nursing Adjunct Faculty Price $325 + HST U of T Nursing Alumni Price $325 + HST
- Refund Policy – To withdraw from the course and receive a refund, your written request must be emailed to email@example.com by April 3, 2020. No refunds will be given after this date. All refunds are subject to an administration fee of $100 + tax. As an alternative, a colleague may attend in your place. Please send your substitution request at least 7 days before the course.
- Advanced registration is required. You must register by April 28, 2020.
- No on-site registration at the event.
- Student in U of T Faculty of Nursing discount is available to participants who are enrolled in the BScN, MN, PMNP Diploma or PhD program at the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- U of T Nursing Adjunct Faculty discount is available to participants who hold a current faculty position, a clinical instructor position, an adjunct appointment or a status appointment to the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
- U of T Nursing Alumni discount is available to participants who hold a BScN, MN, PMNP Diploma, MScN or PhD from the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- Applicable taxes (13% HST) will be added to the registration fees.
- There are a limited number of spaces.
- Course Cancellation Policy – The university reserves the right to cancel courses due to unavailability of instructors, facilities or insufficient enrollment. Decisions on course cancellations are made at least 15 calendar days prior to the course starting date, so early registration is recommended. If you enroll in a course that is subsequently cancelled, you may transfer to another section of that course if an alternative is available; or you may receive a full refund of the fee and tax you paid to the University of Toronto. We are not responsible for travel arrangements, travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you.
What past participants have said about this course:
“This was worth every penny. Thank you for providing this course.”
“This was a great course!”
“Excellent course, thank you for such an extensive review!”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: bloomberg.nursing.utoronto.ca/pd Phone: (416) 978-1784 Address: Centre for Professional Development (PD)
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing
University of Toronto
155 College Street