New BScN Student
Congratulations on your achievements and welcome to the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing at the University of Toronto.
This web page is dedicated to providing you with information on what you can expect from the time of offer of admission to registration in your courses this fall. This web page will be updated throughout the spring and summer. Please bookmark this page and visit us often. We will also send you reminder emails throughout the spring and summer.
Click on the + on each step for complete information.
- Steps for New Students
- Important Dates
- International Students
- List of Contacts
- Accessibility & Health
Year 1 BScN Nursing Student Checklist
Undergraduate program sessional dates (2018-2019)
Day Month Date Activity M July 2 Canada Day holiday July 11 Pre-orientation (for Entry year) M August 6 Civic Holiday – University closed W August 15 Due Date: Entry Year students – submission of immunization form, proof of BCLS certification, record of Police Check, etc. W August 15 Due Date: Submission of online BScN Information Sheet for Clinical Placements M August 27 Deadline to register in the program M September 3 Labour Day – University closed T September 4 Mask Fitting Day W September 5 Orientation for Entry Year BScN students (Mandatory) Th September 6 Student-led orientation for Entry Year BScN students M September 10 Fall Session (F) classes begin Entry Year: NUR350Y, NUR351H, NUR360Y Th/F September 20/21 Entry Year – Clinical starts for NUR360Y: Rotation 1 to October 18/19 Su September 30 Payment deadline for unpaid fall term tuition in order to avoid service charges M October 8 Thanksgiving holiday – University closed M-F October 22-26 Fall Reading Week (Entry Year and Senior Year) November TBD Fall Convocation – BScN Class of 2018 Th/F November 8/9 Entry Year – Clinical starts for NUR360Y: Rotation 2 to December 6/7 F November 30 Payment deadline for unpaid winter term tuition in order to avoid service charges (for those not receiving OSAP) F December 7 Classes end Entry Year: NUR350Y, NUR351H, NUR360Y M-F December 10-14 Examination week M December 24 Winter break begins – University closed until January 4, 2019 inclusive M January 7 University reopens M January 7 Winter Session (S) Classes Begin Entry Year: NUR370Y, NUR390H T January 8 Rotation 1 Clinical courses begin (NUR371Y, NUR372Y, NUR373Y) and end on February 22 Th January 31 Payment deadline for unpaid winter term tuition in order to avoid service charges (for those receiving OSAP) M February 18 Family Day holiday – University closed M-F February 25 Reading Week (Entry Year): Feb 25 to March 1 T March 5 Rotation 2 Clinical courses begin (NUR371Y, NUR372Y, NUR373Y) and end on April 18 F April 5 Winter Class ends for Entry Year F April 19 Good Friday-University closed M-F April 22 Spring Break Week for Entry Year: Apr 22-26 T April 30 Rotation 3 Clinical courses begin (NUR371Y, NUR372Y, NUR373Y) and end on June 14 M May 20 Victoria Day – University Closed M-F June 17-21 Entry Year Examination Week
The Faculty of Nursing welcomes international students. To help you prepare for your arrival, please visit the University of Toronto websites for new international students and the Centre for International Experience.
Name Role Email Address Roles Erica Cambly Interim Undergraduate Program Director email@example.com Academic advising Pamela Khan Year 1 Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org Academic advising Soobong Song Faculty Registrar Soobong.email@example.com Registration and enrolment Tammy Chan Associate Registrar Tammy.firstname.lastname@example.org Admissions Angela Ho Awards Officer Angelakp.email@example.com Financial aid Marisa Covello Undergraduate Program Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org Program support Kong Ng Student Placement Coordinator Kong.email@example.com Student preparedness permit Sharon Lee Student Placement Coordinator Sharonk.firstname.lastname@example.org Student preparedness permit Grase Kim Assistant Dean, Academic Programs email@example.com Clinical education office
If you had academic accommodations for a previous degree or have a documented issue that requires academic accommodations currently, please register with Accessibility Services before the start of term. These services tend to get very busy in September. Academic accommodations might include, for example, extra time for papers or exams.
If you will require ongoing appointments with a physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist, and you do not have care in Toronto, please contact the university’s Health & Wellness services to schedule an appointment. These services tend to get very busy as well once the academic year begins. Students also have access to counselling services on-site at the Faculty of Nursing through an Embedded Wellness Counsellor. The Counsellor will offer brief counselling services to student tailored to the challenges presented by university life. The focus of counselling is on strengths, resiliency, and skills-building. Students can call Health & Wellness at 416-978-8030 if they have any questions or wish to book/reschedule an appointment
Check back here frequently for news & announcements!
STUDENT PREPAREDNESS FAQs
- I have a previously documented positive TB test was positive and I had a chest x-ray a couple of years ago. Will you accept my chest x-ray? Chest x-ray results are required within the last year.
- Will I need another police record check while in the program? The Faculty of Nursing requires students to submit an updated police record check (vulnerable sector screening) by August 15 every year. In some cases, the agency where the student is placed may ask for a more recent police record check. Students are expected to comply with agency-specific requirements.
- If I provide my health immunization information to UofT, can I assume they will share this information with all my practicum placements? No, the Faculty of Nursing does not share personal information, such as health records or date of birth to practicum agencies. The Faculty of Nursing checks annually to ensure students are fit for practicum but individual agencies reserve the right to have students complete their own agency-specific forms. In some cases, the agency will ask the Faculty of Nursing to confirm that the student has been vetted. In most cases, students will need to submit their own information to the agency where they are placed for practicum.
- Am I exempt from the TB test if I am considered low risk status? We do not waive the TB requirement for students. It is required to ensure students meet the requirements of our teaching hospitals and other jurisdictions. Some regions may vary in their requirements but we do our best to ensure students are eligible for practicum in as many locations as possible.
- Are there other hospital/agency requirements that I need to know about prior to starting practicum placements? Many agencies will ask students to complete confidentiality forms, IT security clearance, and other forms 4-6 weeks prior to the start of practicum. Students should check their UofT email messages to ensure they do not miss this crucial step or they may be prevented from starting practicum. Students should also visit the website of the organization where they are placed to seek out the links to importation orientation materials.
- Can I attach lab results to the University of Toronto’s immunization form and leave sections blank for Synergy’s evaluation? All health information must be consolidated on our health template form. We will not accept blank sections of the form and give credit for attached documentation.
- How do I get my documents translated into English? The onus is on the student to have certified translated documents. You can do a web search for various certified translation services in Toronto (or other cities).
- If I live in Toronto, do I need to come on campus to pick up a Toronto Police Record request form? That is correct. Toronto Police Service requires that academic programs distribute their form only to students who have valid photo ID with a Toronto address and are officially offered admission to the program. Toronto Police Service will not allow us to mail these forms out to students since we are responsible for viewing the photo ID and ensuring the form is only given to individuals we verify are indeed students in our program.
(This announcement was posted on June 5, 2018)
MANDATORY MASK-FIT TESTING
Mandatory on-campus mask-fitting sessions will occur throughout the day on Tuesday, September 4, 2018. BScN students will need to book a designated timeslot for when they can have their session. More information will be sent to BScN students in the summer.
(This announcement was posted on May 16, 2018)