COVID – Research Restart
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing (LSBFON) Guidelines for Research Restart and Recovery
The University of Toronto is beginning the process of research restart and recovery. All researchers should become familiar with:
- The University of Toronto’s general information about research during the COVID-19 Pandemic:
- The University of Toronto Principles for Research Recovery and Adaptation
- The University of Toronto Approach for Research Recovery and Adaptation
The LBSFON will follow the University of Toronto’s Approach for Research Recovery and Adaptation. This plan reflects the Province of Ontario’s Framework for Reopening Ontario. This approach places the health, safety and security of all at the centre of decisions about restarting research. The timeline and guidelines for implementation of each stage will be coordinated by the LSBFON following Provincial and University direction. The LSBFON and the University may make faculty or institutional decisions if necessary to address public health concerns or institutional directions. This may result in revisions or update to this document.
Research requiring face-to-face contact with human participants (updated August 4, 2020)
The University of Toronto recognizes that the concept of minimal risk has changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. New research and previously approved research that involves face-to-face contact with human participants may begin with approval from the REB and the researcher’s primary department.
Step 1. New protocols and amendments to previously approved research. Ethical considerations around face to face research may have changed. Researchers should consult the U of T Guidance for the Recovery of Human Research During the COVID-19 Pandemic , including informed consent language that should be added to informed consent documents and processes. Researchers must also complete the Face-to-Face Human Research Checklist and attach it to the Document Summary section of their University of Toronto REB to confirm that University policies and procedures will be followed.
Step 2. Once REB approval is received, researchers should submit their full REB protocol, REB approval and either the Bloomberg Nursing On-campus research restart request form or the Bloomberg Nursing Off-campus research restart request form to email@example.com. Doctoral students or post-doctoral fellows must submit the Bloomberg Nursing PhD and PDF declaration form.
Please see COVID-19 FAQs 3.1 and 3.2 for more information about restarting human research or initiating new studies.
The University has provided context for COVID-19 wording on consent documents.
Researchers should evaluate risk of their subject populations, particularly vulnerable populations, using the University’s Guidance for the Recovery of Human Research During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The Waakebiness Bryce Institute for Indigenous Health at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health is developing guidelines for conducting research specifically in Indigenous populations.
Research at TAHSN Hospitals
Researchers should follow the direction of TASN hospitals for research conducted under their auspices. (FAQ 3.1).
Researchers conducting off-campus research (including at hospitals, clinics) where REB was obtained will be bound by the REB directives and regulations of those sites. The public health directives of these sites or facilities must be followed and if permission from the site is required, it must be granted and provided to the Associate Dean, Research & External Relations before proceeding with research. In order to resume research at a third party site, REB approval from the off-campus site must be obtained and provided to the Associate Dean, Research & External Relations.
Faculty and institutional oversight of adherence to the guidelines will be in place and deficiencies may lead to suspension of the permit to perform in person activities.
Safety concerns can be reported to the LSBFON research office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Access Request Forms
Bloomberg Nursing On-campus research restart request form
Bloomberg Nursing Off-campus research restart request form
Bloomberg Nursing PhD and PDF declaration form
- Province of Ontario “Reopening Ontario“
- University of Toronto Principles for Research Recovery and Adaptation
- University of Toronto Approach for Research Recovery and Adaptation
- University of Toronto COVID-19 Guideline to Reopening Research Spaces
- University of Toronto COVID-19 Temporary Special Telecommuniting Work Arrangements Guidelines
- University of Toronto UTogether2020: A Roadmap for the University of Toronto
- School of Graduate Studies Research Engagement/Re-Engagement
- Guidelines for Graduate Students Engaged in Research Towards Degree Completion
- Guidelines for Faculty Supervisors/Principal Investigators
- Guidelines for Employee Post-Doctoral Fellows
- Guidelines for Non-Employee Post-Doctoral Fellows
- School of Graduate Studies: COVID-19 Graduate Students/Non-Employee Postdoctoral Fellows Acknowledgement: Conducting Research On-Campus or at Off-Campus Research Site
New (August 4, 2020)