PeriAnaesthesia Review Course
March 23, 2019
1 day course
Delivery Format: In-Class or Via Live webcast
This one day course will cover essential competencies in the care of the perianesthesia patient. The Canadian Nurses Association’s (CNA) Blueprint for Perianesthesia Nursing Practice is the framework used for the content review. The course will include best practices and current evidence related to assessment, care planning and management across all phases of the perianesthesia experience (pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative). Enhanced content for 2018: addressing accreditation standards across the continuum (i.e. delirium & falls prevention, medication reconciliation, advanced care plans, handover etc.); in-depth hemodynamic/invasive monitoring review; management of urgent & emergent complications – “the crashing patient”; diagnostic imaging and procedural innovations; and unique considerations for geriatric, pediatric and obstetrical patient populations. Interactive activities and case examples from across settings will be incorporated throughout the day.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Identify common issues in the care of the perianesthetic patient at each phase of their journey through the anesthetic process (i.e. pre operatively, intra-operatively, post-operatively and upon discharge).
- Describe common effects of anesthetic agents on patients.
- Identify signs of hemodynamic instability.
- Articulate essential components of a high quality, comprehensive approach to perianesthesia care.
- Describe key components to include in providing education to the perianesthesia patient population.
This one-day workshop is aimed at health care professionals who are working in or have an interest in Perianesthesia Care, including nurses working in or interested in working in the recovery room, same day surgery, operating room or post-operative ward. Nursing students with an interest in care of the perianesthesia patient are welcome to attend this educational event.
The schedule for the Spring 2019 course is not available yet. The detailed schedule from the April 2018 course is available as a Printable PDF – updated January 25, 2018. The 2019 course will be similar but not identical.
Ramona Hackett RN, BA, MScN, PANC(c)
Interim Manager, Acute & Critical Care Resource Nursing Team, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
Clinical Educator, PeriAnesthesia Department (PAC, SDS,PACU, RAU & SSSU), Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
Ramona completed her nursing program at George Brown College in 1989 and has recently completed a Master of Science in Nursing degree at York University. Ramona has a background as a staff RN in trauma, neurosurgery, Neurosurgery ICU, Critical Care Unit and Post Anesthesia Care Unit. Ramona holds Canadian Nursing Association certification in PeriAnesthesia nursing and is actively engaged in her provincial and national PeriAnesthesia nursing associations. She is the current president of the Ontario PeriAnesthesia Nurses Association (OPANA) and is the secretary-elect on the executive board of the National Association of PeriAnesthesia Nursing of Canada (NAPANc). She has presented provincially, nationally and internationally on topics relevant to perianesthesia nursing, is the co-editor for the NAPANc Standards of Practice 4th Edition, has developed learning packages for nurses preparing to write the CNA PeriAnesthesia Certification exam, and has helped organize many conferences and workshops to promote this nursing specialty.
Marianne Kampf RN, BA, PANC(c)
Education and Development Clinical Educator, Critical Care(ICU & CICU) and Perioperative Services (PACU & SDS), Hamilton Health Sciences
Marianne began her nursing career in 1984 after attaining her Diploma in Nursing from Mohawk College and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology from McMaster University. Marianne’s introduction to PeriAnesthesia nursing experience includes neurology, cardiac, orthopedic, spine and trauma specialties.
Marianne became involved with OPANA, the Ontario PeriAnesthesia Nurses Association, in 2006 as Regional director and has held positions of President of OPANA and is current Treasurer and now Treasurer Elect to NAPANc, National PeriAnesthesia Nursing Association of Canada. Marianne was invited to go to Ottawa to assist and develop exam questions for the first CNA PeriAnesthesia certification nursing exam in 2013. CNA certification in PeriAnesthesia nursing was achieved on her own accord in 2015. Recently she was involved in developing study guide questions for the 2nd CNA PeriAnesthesia nursing study guide.
Charlotte Kenning McCallum NP-Adult, MN, ACNP, GDipNPAC
Nurse Practitioner, Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, London Health Sciences Centre
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Arthur Labatt Family School of Nursing, Western University
(Full bio to be posted when available)
Early Bird (until February 22, 2019) $325 + HST Regular price (starting February 23, 2019) $360 + HST U of T Nursing Alumni save 15%* $305 + HST U of T Nursing Faculty (incl. Adjunct) save 15% $305 + HST U of T Nursing Student save 50% $180 + HST OPANA member save 15%**
Please Note that you are required to provide
your OPANA membership number to us to be eligible for this discount.
$305 + HST Site Groups of three or more
A group discount rate is available for site
groups of three or more people. For details
please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration is limited.
- Advanced registration is required. You must register by Mach 19, 2019. No on-site registration at the event.
- OPANA discount is available to members who provide their OPANA membership number on the course registration form.
- Alumni discount is available to participants who hold a BScN, MN, PMNP Diploma, MScN or PhD from the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- Adjunct Faculty discount is available to participants who hold a current adjunct appointment or status appointment to the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- Current U of T Nursing student discount is available to participants enroled in a BScN, MN, PMNP Diploma or PhD program at the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- Applicable taxes (13% HST) will be added to the registration fees.
- Refund Policy – To withdraw from the course and receive a refund, your written request must be emailed to email@example.com by February 22, 2019. No refunds will be given after this date. All refunds are subject to an administration fee of $100 + tax. As an alternative, a colleague may attend in your place. Please send your substitution request at least 7 days before the course.
- Course Cancellation Policy – The university reserves the right to cancel courses due to unavailability of instructors, facilities or insufficient enrollment. Decisions on course cancellations are made at least 15 calendar days prior to the course starting date, so early registration is recommended. If you enroll in a course that is subsequently cancelled, you may transfer to another section of that course if an alternative is available; or you may receive a full refund of the fee and tax you paid to the University of Toronto. We are not responsible for travel arrangements, travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you.
Payment method options
You have two payment options:
- Register online with a credit card.
- Register by mail with a certified cheque or money order.
You can register and pay online with a credit card.
Certified cheque or money order:
You can register and pay by mail.
Step 1: Type your information onto the online form and then print the page (i.e. don’t click “Confirmation and Payment”. Don’t pay by online credit card). Step 2: Obtain a certified cheque or money order payable to “University of Toronto” for the registration fee plus 13% HST. No personal cheques. No debit cards.
Fees (including HST)
Early Bird (until February 22, 2019) $367.25 Regular price (starting February 23, 2019) $406.80 U of T Nursing Alumni save 15%* $344.65 U of T Nursing Faculty (incl. Adjunct) save 15% $344.65 U of T Nursing Student save 50% $203.40 OPANA member save 15%**
Please Note that you are required to provide your OPANA membership number to be eligible for this discount.
$344.65 Site Groups of three or more A group discount rate is available for site groups of three or more people. For details please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Step 3: Mail the paper registration form with payment (no personal cheques, no cash, no credit cards, no debit cards) to: Centre for Professional Development Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing University of Toronto Suite 130, 155 College Street, Toronto, ON M5T 1P8 Step 4: When we receive your registration form we will email a confirmation notice.
Date and Location
April 7, 2018
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing
Health Sciences Building
University of Toronto
155 College Street
Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1P8 ( map )
Email: email@example.com Website: bloomberg.nursing.utoronto.ca/pd Phone: (416) 978-1784 Address: Centre for Professional Development (PD) Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing University of Toronto 155 College Street, Suite 130 Toronto, ON Canada M5T 1P8