Conquering Challenging Workplace Conversations
March 23, 2019
Delivery Format: In-Class
This one-day interactive workshop is designed to build the skill and confidence of healthcare leaders to effectively manage critical workplace conversations. As a leader, it is essential to develop your ability to effectively manage challenging and/or difficult situations, personalities and groups in the workplace, and to confidently handle situations that don’t go as planned. The workshop will provide participants with knowledge, tools and strategies for understanding how conflict begins, when and how to have a difficult conversation, managing group dynamics, and how to control nerves and anxieties in uncomfortable circumstances. You will have an opportunity to practice giving feedback using common workplace scenarios, and managing situations when feedback goes badly or conversations go off track. The course will be taught by Barbara Langlois, RN, BSN, MSN, who is an author and leadership & communication expert. Barb is an engaging presenter who will motivate and inspire you. By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify how, where and why conflict begins
- Utilize a communication framework for difficult conversations
- Engage the other person(s) in difficult conversations
- Manage challenging and/or difficult workplace situations, groups and personalities with increased confidence
- Identify strategies to calm self in stressful situations
- Provide effective feedback and manage conversations or feedback that doesn’t go as expected
Nurses and other professionals already in, or aspiring to, formal leadership and/or advanced practice roles, will benefit from this course.
Schedule and Location
This course is offered twice per year.
The schedule is available as a Printable PDF. updated January 14, 2019
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing Health Sciences Building University of Toronto 155 College Street Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1P8 ( map )
Barb Langlois, RN, BSN, MSN Leadership & Communication Expert
Barb Langlois is a healthcare leadership and communication expert. In her 30 years of nursing experience she has earned her bachelors and master’s degrees and worked across all healthcare sectors. As a nursing manager, she led a community team of 500 employees serving 1700 clients and was nominated for a prestigious “Above and Beyond” award for her leadership with teams. Barb worked with organizational gurus, leadership experts and a world champion of public speaking to hone her leadership communication skills. She now routinely shares communication strategies and tools with emerging and middle level health care leaders so they can improve their team engagement. Barb has published numerous articles in nursing journals and magazines. She wrote a series of 5 articles in 2015 called, ‘Speak Up! with Barb Langlois’ for the Canadian Nurse Magazine. Barb has also written a book called “Seriously?? Me, too! 10 Power Strategies for Personal Success.” She is afraid of cats, curious about people, and loves a chai tea latte.
Early Bird price (ends February 22, 2019) $325 + HST Regular price (starting February 23, 2019) $360 + HST U of T Nursing Alumni save 15%* $305 + HST U of T Nursing Adjunct and Status Faculty save 15%*** $305 + HST U of T Nursing Current Student save 50%**** $180 + HST
A group discount rate is available for site groups of three or more people. For details please contact email@example.com.
- Registration is limited.
- Advanced registration is required. You must register by March 19, 2019. No on-site registration at the event.
- *U of T Nursing Alumni discount is available to participants who hold a BScN, MN, PMNP Diploma, MScN or PhD from the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- ***U of T Nursing Faculty discount is available to participants who hold a current faculty position, a clinical instructor position, an adjunct appointment or a status appointment to the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
- ****U of T Nursing Current Student discount is available to participants who are currently completing their BScN, MN or PhD at the Lawrence. S Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing.
- Applicable taxes (13% HST) will be added to the registration fees.
- Refund Policy – To withdraw from the course and receive a refund, your written request must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22, 2019. No refunds will be given after this date. All refunds are subject to an administration fee of $100 + tax. As an alternative, a colleague may attend in your place. Please send your substitution request at least 7 days before the course.
- Course Cancellation Policy – The university reserves the right to cancel courses due to unavailability of instructors, facilities or insufficient enrollment. Decisions on course cancellations are made at least 15 calendar days prior to the course starting date, so early registration is recommended. If you enroll in a course that is subsequently cancelled, you may transfer to another section of that course if an alternative is available; or you may receive a full refund of the fee and tax you paid to the University of Toronto. We are not responsible for travel arrangements, travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you.
Payment method options
You have two payment options if you are an individual registering for this course:
- Register online with a credit card.
- Register by mail with a certified cheque or money order.
If you are registering on behalf of a site group of three or more people and want to take advantage of the special discounted price please contact email@example.com.
You can register and pay online with a credit card.
Certified cheque or money order:
You can register and pay by mail.
Step 1: Type your information onto the online form and then print the page (i.e. don’t click “Confirmation and Payment”. Don’t pay by online credit card). Step 2: Obtain a certified cheque or money order payable to “University of Toronto” for the registration fee plus 13% HST. No personal cheques. No debit cards.
Fees (including HST)
Early Bird price (ends February 22, 2019) $367.25 incl HST Regular price (starting February 23, 2019) $406.80 incl HST U of T Nursing Alumni save 15%** $344.65 incl HST U of T Nursing Adjunct and Status Faculty save 15%*** $344.65 incl HST U of T Nursing Current Student Faculty save 50%**** $203.40 incl HST Step 3: Mail the paper registration form with payment (no personal cheques, no cash, no credit cards, no debit cards) to:
Centre for Professional Development Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing University of Toronto Suite 130, 155 College Street, Toronto, ON M5T 1P8
Step 4: When we receive your registration form we will email a confirmation notice.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: bloomberg.nursing.utoronto.ca/pd Phone: (416) 978-1784 Address: Centre for Professional Development (PD) Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing University of Toronto 155 College Street, Suite 130 Toronto, ON Canada M5T 1P8