Get Your Message Across: A Course on Effective Communication & Presentation Skills
1 day course
Delivery Format: In-Class
This one-day interactive workshop is designed to build confidence and effectiveness in professional communication and presentation skills. Develop your knowledge and skill in the design, delivery and evaluation of presentations that exhibit a credible and clear professional message. Getting your message across requires careful consideration of the audience, the purpose, and the context of your presentation. It is also dependent on your ability to engage others and to facilitate discussion with expertise. Confident application of these skills will assist you in lobbying for and introducing change, presenting a business case, or proposing an idea by presenting in an authentic, concise, persuasive and effective manner. By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Design and deliver an effective presentation.
- Apply strategies to effectively engage an audience, be persuasive and communicate a message with impact.
- Target a message to a specific audience (staff meeting, directors meeting, conference).
- Describe how to alter a presentation for different contexts (unpopular message, mandatory change, positive change).
- Identify how to effectively use supplemental tools.
Nurses and other professionals already in, or aspiring to, formal leadership and/or advanced practice roles, will benefit from this course.
Schedule and Location
This course is offered twice each year.
The schedule is available as a Printable PDF. updated January 14, 2019
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing Health Sciences Building University of Toronto 155 College Street Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1P8 ( map )
Barb Langlois, RN, BSN, MSN Leadership & Communication Expert
Barb Langlois is a healthcare leadership and communication expert. In her 30 years of nursing experience she has earned her bachelors and master’s degrees and worked across all healthcare sectors. As a nursing manager, she led a community team of 500 employees serving 1700 clients and was nominated for a prestigious “Above and Beyond” award for her leadership with teams. Barb worked with organizational gurus, leadership experts and a world champion of public speaking to hone her leadership communication skills. She now routinely shares communication strategies and tools with emerging and middle level health care leaders so they can improve their team engagement. Barb has published numerous articles in nursing journals and magazines. She wrote a series of 5 articles in 2015 called, ‘Speak Up! with Barb Langlois’ for the Canadian Nurse Magazine. Barb has also written a book called “Seriously?? Me, too! 10 Power Strategies for Personal Success.” She is afraid of cats, curious about people, and loves a chai tea latte.
Early Bird price (ends February 22, 2019) $325 + HST Regular price (starting February 23, 2019) $360 + HST U of T Nursing Alumni save 15%* $305 + HST U of T Nursing Adjunct and Status Faculty save 15%*** $305 + HST U of T Nursing Current Student save 50%**** $180 + HST
A group discount rate is available for site groups of three or more people. For details please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration is limited.
- Advanced registration is required. You must register by March 18, 2019. No on-site registration at the event.
- *U of T Nursing Alumni discount is available to participants who hold a BScN, MN, PMNP Diploma, MScN or PhD from the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- ***U of T Nursing Faculty discount is available to participants who hold a current faculty position, a clinical instructor position, an adjunct appointment or a status appointment to the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
- ****U of T Nursing Current Student discount is available to participants who are currently completing their BScN, MN or PhD at the Lawrence. S Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing.
- Applicable taxes (13% HST) will be added to the registration fees.
- Refund Policy – To withdraw from the course and receive a refund, your written request must be emailed to email@example.com by February 22, 2019. No refunds will be given after this date. All refunds are subject to an administration fee of $100 + tax. As an alternative, a colleague may attend in your place. Please send your substitution request at least 7 days before the course.
- Course Cancellation Policy – The university reserves the right to cancel courses due to unavailability of instructors, facilities or insufficient enrollment. Decisions on course cancellations are made at least 15 calendar days prior to the course starting date, so early registration is recommended. If you enroll in a course that is subsequently cancelled, you may transfer to another section of that course if an alternative is available; or you may receive a full refund of the fee and tax you paid to the University of Toronto. We are not responsible for travel arrangements, travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you.
Payment method options
You have two payment options if you are an individual registering for this course:
- Register online with a credit card.
- Register by mail with a certified cheque or money order.
If you are registering on behalf of a site group of three or more people and want to take advantage of the special discounted price please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can register and pay online with a credit card.
Certified cheque or money order:
You can register and pay by mail.
Step 1: Type your information onto the online form and then print the page (i.e. don’t click “Confirmation and Payment”. Don’t pay by online credit card). Step 2: Obtain a certified cheque or money order payable to “University of Toronto” for the registration fee plus 13% HST. No personal cheques. No debit cards.
Fees (including HST)
Early Bird price (ends February 22, 2019) $367.25 incl HST Regular price (starting February 23, 2019) $406.80 incl HST U of T Nursing Alumni save 15%** $344.65 incl HST U of T Nursing Adjunct and Status Faculty save 15%*** $344.65 incl HST U of T Nursing Current Student Faculty save 50%**** $203.40 incl HST Step 3: Mail the paper registration form with payment (no personal cheques, no cash, no credit cards, no debit cards) to:
Centre for Professional Development Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing University of Toronto Suite 130, 155 College Street, Toronto, ON M5T 1P8
Step 4: When we receive your registration form we will email a confirmation notice.
What past participants have said about this course:
“This has been one of the best presentations that I have ever been to!”
“This was an excellent course – I loved it!!!”
“Barb kept me engaged throughout the entire day with her dynamic and humorous presentation style while teaching me very relevant, useful and practical presentation tips. I left feeling motivated and energized knowing that I will see my project through to successful completion” “Great workshop! Very informative”
Email: email@example.com Website: bloomberg.nursing.utoronto.ca/pd Phone: (416) 978-1784 Address: Centre for Professional Development (PD)
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing
University of Toronto
155 College Street
Canada M5T 1P8