Excelling in the Care of the Older Adult: A Course for Nurse Practitioners and Advanced Practice Nurses
2 day course
Delivery Format: In-Class or Via Live webcast
Expert knowledge and the provision of skillful care for older adults have become essential components of practice in both acute and primary care. This two day course, designed by nurse practitioners specialized in the field of geriatric care, will increase your confidence and improve the depth and breadth of your knowledge in geriatric care. The course will address the relevant pathophysiology, assessment, clinical reasoning, and management of multiple geriatric conditions with a focus on mobility, mood & cognition, and common conundrums such as continence, sleep disturbances and wound management. Key topics will include advanced health assessment, capacity assessment, best diagnostic and prescribing practices, and resources for day to day practice.
At the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the components of a comprehensive health assessment of the older adult.
- Identify evidence informed practices in the care of the elderly related to mobility, and mood & cognition, including dementia spectrums.
- Discuss therapeutic approaches to the management of common conundrums such as sleep disturbance, continence, and would management.
- Employ best practices in prescribing and diagnostics for the elderly.
- Nurse Practitioners
- Advanced Practice Nurses
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Nurse Educators/Faculty
- Registered Nurses specializing in geriatrics
Schedule and Location
The 2020 schedule has not been determined but the 2019 schedule is available for reference as a Printable PDF – updated May 14, 2019.
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing Health Sciences Building University of Toronto 155 College Street Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1P8 ( map )
Michelle Acorn DNP, NP-Adult/PHC, MN/ACNP, GNC(C), CGP
Adjunct Professor, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
Donna Ruffo RN(EC), MN, NP-Adult, GNC(C)
Nurse Practitioner, Geriatric Medicine
Adjunct Lecturer, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing
Katherine Trip NP-Adult, MN
Nurse Practitioner Consultant, Senior Care
Adjunct Lecturer, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
Early Bird price (ends September 27, 2019) $560 + HST Regular price (starting September 28, 2019) $620 + HST U of T Nursing Alumni save 15%* $525 + HST U of T Nursing Faculty save 15%** $525 + HST NPAO Members save 15%*** $525 + HST Student in U of T Faculty of Nursing save 50%**** $310 + HST
A group discount rate is available for site groups of three or more people. For details please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refund Policy – To withdraw from the course and receive a refund, your written request must be emailed to email@example.com by September 27, 2019. No refunds will be given after this date. All refunds are subject to an administration fee of $100 + tax. As an alternative, a colleague may attend in your place. Please send your substitution request at least 7 days before the course.
- Registration is limited.
- Advanced registration is required. You must register by October 18, 2019. No on-site registration at the event.
- *U of T Nursing Alumni discount is available to participants who hold a BScN, MN, PMNP Diploma, MScN or PhD from the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- **U of T Nursing Faculty discount is available to participants who hold a faculty position, adjunct or status appointment, or are a Clinical Instructor (current academic year only) at the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto.
- ***NPAO (Nurse Practitioner Association of Ontario) members discount eligibility will be confirmed by the NPAO Membership Director.
- ****Student in U of T Faculty of Nursing discount is available to students who are currently registered in the BScN, MN, PMNP or PhD programs at the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing.
- This is a two day course.
- Applicable taxes (13% HST) will be added to the registration fees.
- Course Cancellation Policy – The university reserves the right to cancel courses due to unavailability of instructors, facilities or insufficient enrollment. Decisions on course cancellations are made at least 15 calendar days prior to the course starting date, so early registration is recommended. If you enroll in a course that is subsequently cancelled, you may transfer to another section of that course if an alternative is available; or you may receive a full refund of the fee and tax you paid to the University of Toronto. We are not responsible for travel arrangements, travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you.
Payment method options
You have two payment options if you are an individual registering for this course:
- Register online with a credit card.
- Register by mail with a certified cheque or money order.
If you are registering on behalf of a site group of three or more people and want to take advantage of the special discounted price please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can register and pay online with a credit card.
Certified cheque or money order:
You can register and pay by mail.
Step 1: Type your information onto the online form and then print the page (i.e. don’t click “Confirmation and Payment”. Don’t pay by online credit card). Step 2: Obtain a certified cheque or money order payable to “University of Toronto” for the registration fee plus 13% HST. No personal cheques. No debit cards.
Fees (including HST)
Early Bird price (ends September 27, 2019) $632.80 Regular price (starting September 28, 2019) $700.60 U of T Nursing Alumni save 15%* $593.25 U of T Nursing Faculty save 15%** $593.25 NPAO Members save 15%*** $593.25 Student in U of T Faculty of Nursing save 50%*** $350.30 Step 3: Mail the paper registration form with payment (no personal cheques, no cash, no credit cards, no debit cards) to:
Centre for Professional Development
Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing
University of Toronto
155 College Street
Toronto, ON M5T 1P8
Step 4: When we receive your registration form we will email a confirmation notice.
What past participants have said about this course:
“Very inspiring to continue to immerse yourself in the area of older adult care.”
“Thoroughly enjoyed this course! It’s taught by experts in the field of geriatric medicine and I feel that I will be able to provide a better and more evidence based case to my patients. I will be back for the second portion of the course!”
“This was an excellent, informative, well planned/organized course! Thanks for all of this information!”
“Very practical and informative – I have learned so much, thank you!”
Email: email@example.com Website: bloomberg.nursing.utoronto.ca/pd Phone: (416) 978-1784 Address: Centre for Professional Development (PD) Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing University of Toronto 155 College Street, Suite 130 Toronto, ON Canada M5T 1P8